Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cash Back

This subject has been the topic of many complaints and arguments. Customers tend to feel that stores are banks, and should be able to give them as much money back as they want, or give them as much change as they want. We all know that its just too hard and takes too much time to drive across the parking lot. Well the story I have for today is about one particular bitch that decided to take it to the next level.

It all started on a very busy Sunday afternoon, cashiers are all working as fast as possible trying to get customers out the door, and possibly catch that rare moment of down time. A woman goes through a line to purchase her $50 worth of items. Now for the 5 minutes this lady is being rung up, she does not bag her own groceries, she does not help put the bags in her cart, and she does not bother to say anything to the cashier (because of course its a cashier, shes too high and mighty to talk to one of those.) At the end of the order the cashier tells the woman her total and processes it. This was the mistake.



Apparently the woman wanted cash back because she used her debit card, most customers tell the cashier that they want some money back as they are paying, but since this lady is to high and mighty she was unable to talk to the cashier. After being yelled at for being an idiot that cant do a simple job, the cashier tells the woman that she can debit her card for the amount she wants back and give her the cash.  No, instead of doing this, she decided to be a bitch and come up to me.

At this point my day was going pretty good. Not much had happened that could make me think otherwise. This lady comes up and I greet her as I do every customer, and she proceeds to yell at me about how incompetent the cashiers are. She tries to explain that she only wanted 1 receipt from the store, not 2...1. She then went on saying that she only wanted 1 transaction to show up on her bank account. This was very very important to her. I was then asked to return the purchase and rering it with the cash back.

Now anyone with common sense will automatically think, "Hey...if you return it and repurchase it, wont you have 3 transactions on your bank account instead of one? The purchase, the return, then the rering?"

Why yes smart person, you would. However this bitch is not the brightest bulb in the pack. So since this lady was being such a bitch, i decided to make the process as slow as possible for her. I told her i had to scan every item in order to return them all and proceeded to do so. After about another 6 minutes or so everything was scanned into the computer.

As usual I told the lady to slide her payment card and choose CREDIT (all returns are done as credit, they cant be done as a debit). The lady then slides her card and chooses debit. I sighed, canceled it, and told her once again to slide the card and choose CREDIT. She starts yelling at me about how she cant do credit because she has a debit card. I try and explain to the bitch that our system can only return purchases under the credit option. She finally hits the credit button, and the transaction is denied.

After looking at the womans card, I see that she has an ATM card, not a debit card. For anyone that does not know the difference, an ATM card is used to withdraw money from an ATM but can also be used to buy something using the debit option. A debit card, is a check card and an ATM card combined, allowing you to withdraw money using debit or buy things using credit.

At this point I am laughing inside because the woman is starting to look like the cool aide man. She DEMANDS to see talk to the manager. When he gets over she starts to go off about incompetent the cashier and I are, and explains the whole situation with the Cash back. I then inform the manager that she has an ATM card so we could not do the return. Now this is where I get pissed off. The manager, being the ultimate push over, decides to just give her the money she wanted to get back. For free. He made me take it out of my drawer and give it to her.

Now the one thing I can not stand, is when managers give customers, that are a disgrace to humanity, whatever they god damn please! The answer I always get is "We don't want to drive customers away". Do we really want to do business with people like that? Let them go somewhere else, who gives a rats ass.

Anyway, sorry for the long read, I just had to get that story down on paper so to speak.

--Servant of the People

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! HAVE BEEN WORKING IN RETAIL FOR 12+ YEARS AND CAN RELATE TO ALL OF YOUR EXPERIENCES. ISN'T CUSTOMER SERVICE GREAT? LOL KEEP ON POSTING AND I WILL KEEP ON READING.
THANKS,
RETAIL MANAGER

Unknown said...

Thanks! It's amazing that no matter where you are there are people that get joy out of bitching and complaining about the smallest things. I'm glad your enjoying the blog, I'll be sure to keep posting!