Monday, April 4, 2011

Respect Part 2

There is one thing about customers and respect that I did not touch on in my last rant. I don't know why it slipped my mind, since to me, it is my biggest pet peeve. I am talking about when customers come up to pay and they just throw theyre money down on the counter, as if it is beneath them to hand it to you. To me, this shows utter lack of respect for you as a person.

It just pisses me off to no end, to go out of my way to be nice to someone and have them ignore you and throw their money on the counter. Why don't you throw it on the ground while you're at it. This has been a symbol of superiority for the ages. Going as far back as when people first started having servants and slaves, the owners or masters thought that the ones serving them did not deserve to have anything handed to them, and would end up throwing it on the ground to show them that they were in a position of authority.

Even though society has grown out of master servant relationships, I feel that it still lingers in peoples subconcious. They wont say it, but people who do this feel that they are better than you, and should not have to give you any courtesy. Does it really take that much more effort to wait for you to take the money from your hand? No, not really.

This is the most annoying when you actually go to take it out of their hand, and instead of letting you, the customer will just drop it. The same goes for when someone is paying with a credit card. They will litterally throw the card at you, not really caring if it glides off the counter and onto the floor. The most they will say is "Oh, im sorry" in a smug little voice. I know your not sorry, and how about you just hand me the damn card instead of throwing it at me. I am not a dog your throwing treats to, I am a fucking person.

I touched on this last point in my last rant about respect, but as I am writing this it just kept nagging at me. If someone goes out of their way to say "Hey, how are you doing?", the correct response is not barking out an order of what you want. I bet you will notice the faces of the employees turn to disgust pretty quickly after you do this. I have caught myself doing this once or twice when I preoccupied with something on my mind, but when I look up and realize what I said, I am quick to correct by saying something along the lines of "I'm sorry, I'm doing fine. How about you?"

The next time you are in a store, try and realize that the person behind the counter is a human, and deserves more than having stuff thrown at them or having orders barked in their faces.

That's all for now. Luckily my viral infection is over and I am back to work, so I should have plenty of more stories to tell.

--Servant of the People

No comments: