Sunday, March 27, 2011

Customers and Lunch Breaks

For many of you who work for larger companies, you are not allowed to work off the clock. This includes when you clock out for lunch. Well in retail stores customers like to pretend that your lunch break isn't worth a damned thing.

Several times after I clocked out for lunch and preceded to walk to the back of the store for a cigarette, customers will approach me and ask questions. Most of the time I answer them politely and continue on my way.  However, every so often you get that bitch of a customer that wont leave you alone.

Today after I clocked out, a woman came up to me and asked where an item was located. As usual I told her where it was and continued on my way. This time, the woman stopped me again and DEMANDED I show her where it is exactly. I told the lady that I was on my lunch break and could not, but informed her there was an employee back in that section that could help her find what she needed.

Now as I am sitting outside enjoying my break, a manager comes up to me and says that a woman filed a complain against me for refusing to help her. Even though the complain didn't go any farther and the manager understood completely, it was still extremely frustrating. I cannot wrap my head around the fact that customers don't give two shits about you being on break or not.

One of these days I would love to follow someone to their work and start asking them to do work when they are on lunch. I assure you 100% of them will refuse and get pissed off for asking. If anyone can think of a reason why customers think this way, please leave a comment. I cannot figure it out for the life of me!

--Servant of the People

No comments: